Today I re-purposed some clothing and made skirts for Alanna. Sorry for the bad pics.... I took these at night with my point and shoot.
The first one was this dress a friend gave me. You can see that I started cutting this apart prior to the picture. I stopped just to show you what it looked like before. It was just a basic sleeveless dress.
It had a few stains. So, instead of using it for a play dress, I turned it into this skirt.
It was simple. I just cut the top, white part off. Then I folded it over to make a casing for the elastic waist band. You'll notice I left some of the white top on. It has a serged edge and I didn't feel like going through the hassle of folding and ironing since I don't have a serger... yet! :) It made of less steps. Then I just pulled some elastic through and sewed the casing closed.
I cut out the star that was on the top of the dress and put it on the bottom of the new skirt.
The skirt still needs to be ironed... but it's super cute.
The second skirt I made was from an old pair of jeans that I have had for a long time (jeans I hoped to fit into some day but I'm finally being realistic!:)
For this skirt I cut the bottom of both legs off my old jeans. I cut them along the inside, side seam to open them up into to pieces of fabric. I then sewed them up the sides so that the outside side seam would be on the front and the back. When I read that, it's totally confusing. I'll do a tutorial on this. The top is just elastic. It took me about 15 minutes! I don't think we've seen the last of this skirt though. Embellishing of some kind is definitely in it's future.
Tomorrow... pants for Abram!