9.15.2010

Feathery hair piece

Alanna is a girly girl to the max! "Hair pretties" are her favorite accessory and she is always asking for more. So, I decided to make her one. This is what I came up with.



I didn't take photos while I made it, but the process is easy to follow. Here is how I did it. First I took three pieces of ribbon, cut to 12" long (1/2" wide), and braided them. Using a glue gun, I simply wound it up into a disc. I did trim the braid down because the disc was getting to big. Just make it as big as you like. To finish the disc, I glued the ends to the back of the braided circle.

For the petals, I made them using V & Co.'s tutorial. I made it a bit different than the tutorial, however. I only cut the ribbon about 3" long and ended up trimming them before gluing them down. Just make them the length that looks best to you. I did not use two layers of petals and I did not glue the petals to a felt circle, though you could. I just glued them to my braided center.


My favorite clips are alligator clips. I covered it with the same pink ribbon I used for the braided center.


Then, I glued the flower to the clip and then glued the feathers behind the flower, shoving them between the flower and the clip. One thing to note, I made sure the feathers would lay against Alanna's head when she was wearing it. It just looks better than if they are sticking out all over the place.

Needless to say, Alanna LOVES the clip!!! She wears it even when it doesn't match her outfit... yikes. Maybe I need to make a variety of colors!

No comments: