3.23.2011

What skirt fits your body shape?

Last night I was going to make a skirt for myself after my grueling workout.  But then it occurred to me.  The skirt I had in mind would be ALL wrong for me.  I'm not about to put the time and effort into making something that doesn't work!

But what the heck would work on my short hourglass frame?  It seems like EVERYTHING makes my hips look bigger!  God knows I do NOT need more eyes looking at my already truck size hips!  I know... that's just life after you push out four kids, but I don't need them looking BIGGER!
 
 
So here is what I learned for my short hourglass frame.
 
 
A-line and straight skirts.  Neither too tight or too loose.  Small prints.  No bias cut skirts (bye bye circle skirt idea).

(Can you tell I never wear skirts?)

Here's the problem... I'm so not a fan of straight or pencil skirts.  A-line... fine, but it's just not what I was hoping for. 
 
So, with my hopes deflated I did some research and here is my inspiration for a skirt I am determined to make for myself!
 Anthropologie

Mudshark Streetwear - I could pull this off.. If I were a size 2!!!  Ok... maybe I can.  I have no clue!

Anthropologie (no longer available).  I'm not sure that this would be a good idea with the way the side scrunches, but the ruffle maybe???

Dreadful.  Maybe I just need to open my mind up to the idea of them and embrace it.  Or maybe... I stick with A-line and say "screw you pencil skirt."

Mudshark Streetwear
 I'm thinking if this were a bit shorter, it could be really cool.

Mudshark Streetwear
So pretty!

Who knew making a skirt for myself would be such a daunting task!  I mean, I lost 5 pounds since Saturday!!!  I can't be down on myself, but this task sucks.  Though, I'm determined to make one, even if it won't fit me for long!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh, I hear you, girl. I have big hips, too. And a total ghetto booty. My husband says he loves my curves, but I curse them! It's SOOO hard to find something that fits right!

chris said...

I'm still figuring this out myself. I did see this tutorial that I thought would be fun to try:
Party Skirt

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

I'm trying to make a skirt for myself too. Instead of dealing with it I bought a cute girl dress pattern from Ellie Inspired to use the fabric for instead, LOL.
~kimberlee
www.TheSpunkyDiva.com